Monday, January 19, 2009

New Year, New Mee.

With the start of the New Year, I decided to start my liver detox, which was recommended by my doctor to help with some of the "issues" my body was having. She recommended it for me back in December, but with the holidays coming up and all the foods I wouldn't be allowed to eat while on this detox, I decided to wait until the New Year and make it part of my resolution to be a better me.

I started on January 2nd, taking about 1 scoop a day. I finally made it up to two scoops, three times a day, by the following week. I mix it with 1/2 water and 1/2 apple juice and a LOT of cinnamon... it helps. I've noticed that I have a bit more energy, I'm typically in a better mood, and my face has cleared up quite a bit. Since I've started, I've also dropped about 5 pounds, which isn't bad, considering I'm not really exercising. :) haha

Here's a brief list of what I cannot eat while on this detox:
Wheat/gluten
Meat (Beef, mainly)
Pig products
Oranges/Citrus
Corn
Soy/Tofu
Peanuts
Eggs
Shellfish
Dairy
Margarine, mayo, and hydrogenated oils
Soda, coffee, tea, and alcohol
Refined sugars, honey, and syrups


Let's just say this had severely limited my diet. LOL
I call myself a gluten-free vegan... that's how I feel, anyway.

I'm eating rice, rice cakes, rice pasta, rice bread, and using rice milk! I can't believe how many products are made with rice now! It's so awesome! I can still eat fish, turkey, chicken, and any and all veggies and fruits I want (other than corn and oranges). It's nice, in that respect. I've been shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's more than I usually do, which is making our food bills go up a bit, but it should all be over in another week or two...

I made vegan cupcakes this weekend. They weren't bad, but the batter could be improved upon by adding bananas and making it banana bread instead! LOL! I also found chocolate chips that were vegan! Not carob, chocolate! Yummy! I actually missed chocolate...

All I have to say is:
Yum... Rice!

No comments: