Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Uh huh... Riiiiight...

Tonight at the gym, I was once again subjected to FOX News. Luckily for me, it wasn't Glenn Beck this time... it was "America's Election Headquarters," since tonight is the primary elections in some states.

To those who say, "FOX News is fair and balanced!" I say: "BULLSHIT."
I say this for a few reasons (these are just my recent discoveries; there are many more reasons):

1. While I was watching tonight, FOX showed all of the Republican candidates and who was winning where. FOX did not show the Democratic candidates and who was winning where EXCEPT for the California Governor race. That was it. If it was indeed "America's Election Headquarters," they should have shown each state with each party and which candidate had how much of the vote... not just the Republican candidates.

2. I also noticed that FOX was streaming how many seats the Republicans needed to "win back" the Senate and House. Nothing about how many seats the Democrats needed to hold on to the majority. And to be honest, this was JUST the primaries, not the actual election! No one is winning any seats tonight, just the Republican or Democratic candidate nomination for the actual vote, which isn't until November.

3. Sure, FOX had both a Republican and Democratic "advisor/analyst," but the news anchor only talked to the Republican advisor about candidates and their positions and policies. The news anchor had a "discussion" about female candidates with the Democratic advisor and asked why he thought more women were winning this time around... nothing about Democratic policies or positions. It was a fascinating thing to read while on the elliptical... I'm glad it was close-captioned for my "convenience."


Last week, I was on the elliptical (headphones in and turned way up) and a guy asked me if I was watching CNN. I shook my head no and he went up to the front desk and asked for the remote so he could change the channel. I looked at my watch and realized it was almost 2pm... I still had 15 minutes left on my workout time. The guy turned it to FOX News and walked away. I was pissed. The guy didn't say he was going to turn it to FOX News... he just asked if I was watching CNN. I'd rather have CNN on in front of me, in the background, compared to Glenn Beck and his intolerant, hateful self preaching hateful messages, full of lies and speculation. Once Beck came on the TV, I immediately got off the machine and went to the front desk to complain. After, I went to the women's only gym... no TVs in there... just music. I finished my workout (on a treadmill since all the ellipticals were taken) and went on with my day.

Either way, I have expressed my feelings to the manager of our local Bally's about FOX News being on the TVs at our local gym (and so has the husband). I'd rather the news channel be dedicated to actual news, like CNN or MSN. Actual news is fine (even if it's on FOX News, but I have yet to see actual news on their channel), but I can't tolerate "opinion-based" shows that spread lies, intolerance, and hateful messages across this country.

No comments: